Tuesday, November 27, 2012

So... call me a garbage picker

I have been thrilled these last couple of days to find so many amazing steals... and deals!

It started off with my looking for cushions that would be the correct size to use when I make my suitcase chair (because nobody sells cushions precut in the measurements of 17''x 24''x 4'', or anything big enough while being in my budget). I stopped at Savers, a slightly more upscale goodwill... and to my surprise they had tons of couches, and chairs, and benches for sale that had just been dropped off for donation that day!

There were a few really nice (mind you, very outdated) chairs that were in fantastic shape. And then I saw a wooden bench, with 4 huge cushions... and instantly knew these were the perfect size cushions I needed.

Me to the cashier: "Is it possible to buy just the cushions without the bench?"
Cashier (laughing): "Um, no... you have to buy the whole set because nobody will want the bench on its own."

Ugh, okay... I'll go see how much it is I guess. And of course, no price tag to be found.

Me again to cashier: "What is the cost of the whole bench set?"
Cashier: "Hi again. I'm not sure... you have to ask the donations people."

So I find the donations girl and she goes out and gives me a price of $14.99!!! I'll take it! (I ''yell'' without trying to sound ridiculously excited about someone else's disgusting, used, ancient furniture") But seriously, this was awesome. The cushions are in amazing shape... still firm and clean, unlike the cushion covers. I could not have gotten a better deal, nor had better timing if I wanted to.

Also, they don't know that I am going to refinish the wooden bench and make it all nice and new looking, for less than 2 dollars... only use two of the cushions for my original intentions, and leave the other two, maybe dye the old covers, so that I can probably re-sell the set again for $10+ more than I even paid for all of it! Talk about thrifty...



The original cushion covers on the $14.99 bench set. Hmm, I take back what I said... these are actually kind of sweet in an old retro sort of way! Heh?

THEN... later that evening, Joshua drove to the bank, and when he gets home he tells me that he drove past a wingback chair on the side of the road just around the corner from our place (almost exactly the type of chair he has been looking for). So in the car we go because I am not letting anyone else have that piece! Sure enough, it's still there, and it is in unexpectedly good shape, beside a loose footboard, and shredded fabric on the seat cushion. But it is perfect for what we want, because I have been wanting to try reupholstering, but not on something I have already, of which I probably like and spent a decent amount of money on. You can't beat free!

The Little Pink Beauty
If you're thinking of doing a reupholstering project and need some awesome tips, I highly suggest checking out allthingsthrifty's blog. This couple is amazing, and so very talented! They have step-by-step restoration and upholstering tutorials... and many other things!

The original piece that started my collection of garbage picked goods was this armoire that my neighbors had put outside on the lawn when they were moving out. Its pretty banged up, and the finish is in really bad shape, but nothing a little restoration won't fix. I plan to make a bench seat out of it to put by the front door, so Josh has a place to sit, put his shoes on/take them off. I'm even thinking of making a storage area in it for a couple pairs of shoes... but this one is a little ways down the list yet. So you have to use your imagination on how that will work until later, when I can tell you all about how I did it!


Enough about all my 'junk'... let me tell you what project is in progress!

I decided to make a chair out of a vintage suitcase. I found an awesome old terracotta colored Samsonite one at an antique shop for $15!

Meet Suitcase. Vintage Suitcase.

I have to put legs on it and form some sort of a frame for my cushions. The frame will then be attached to the suitcase inside, probably via a hinge...

Bought these 14'' legs at Home Depot for less than $20. They are now stained ebony!

This is my awesome, bold, fun material that will be used for the cushions. I got it on sale at hobby lobby for 50% off... totaling less than $15.


At this rate, I can have a totally adorable, unique, self-made usable chair for under $80!

Tutorial will be coming soon... please keep posted!





2 comments:

  1. Love the green retro cushion covers too. Can't wait to see the suitcase chair all finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They grow on you! I'll definitely post some pictures and what not when it's all done!

      Delete