Monday, September 10, 2012

How I started a garden... and how YOU can, too!

No kidding that starting a garden was low on my list of things to do... when I felt like I had lots of things to do. But remember that time I told you about how I had (for a short while) stopped doing things? Yeah... until I realized that I really needed to do something again. Whether it be getting back into exercising, playing sports, arting, crafting, cooking (all the things I used to enjoy doing before I just... quit doing them). Well, when my hubby and I moved into our new place of living, we had a few requirements

1) Two Bedrooms- because we didn't want the stinky ferrets having the run of the house anymore
2) Garage- because we wanted a place to work on our motorcycle, and any other messy projects we might decide to get into
3) Lots of storage- because this was something we found ourselves to be lacking when we lived in a large loft apartment
4)Yard 

Notice how there is no real reason for wanting a yard? That's because I didn't really have a specific plan in mind. I just thought "hey, some extra outdoor space would be nice. Maybe we can get a firepit...because, hey, we like fires!" 

But then, the more I started thinking of things I wanted to do, I decided that gardening would be a really great hobby! For several reasons: It would give me something to do. It'd be something to learn more about. It'd take a bit of time, effort, planning, and consistent care. I could reap delicious things from it! Okay, and it's pretty.

So, that's what I decided to do. I dug a 20' long by 3' wide garden. This was quite a project. In my first 10 minutes of digging, I came to find that we have horrible clay soil. Hard, dry, packed, unbuggy clay. The kind of soil that you just know won't encourage anything to grow, hence, a bit discouraging. Days and days were spent digging, and crumbling large chunks of clay to become decent enough soil to plant in. Then, I went and bought gardening soil, and mixed it in with the clay... and tilled, and mixed, and tilled, and mixed... you get the point. 

TOO MUCH WORK!

By day 6, I think it was, the plot was finally ready to feed things. I really wanted to keep it to an all vegetable/fruit/herb garden, but you should know this about me- I don't often stick to my original plans for myself. Because I like to buy things that catch my eye. So in my search for all of these plants (which was a chore in itself because we got a late start in the year) I came across many other beautiful plants. But mostly, I love love love lilies! Casa Blanca lilies, calla lilies, day lilies, you name it. So I found me a beautiful blooming day lily, a couple of tomato plants, jalapeño plant, strawberries, green and red bell peppers, basil, parsley, and cilantro. 

I came home, planned out where all of them should go, and planted away! I had a few things die on me in the first week or so, due to them being shocked and whatnot, but it all made a great comeback! 

Since then, everything is blooming and growing like a weed! I find gardening to be relaxing, peaceful, interesting, and healthy. 


These (above) were my tomato plants just a couple days after buying them. And those are my little adorable makeshift trellises made out of bamboo skewers and electrical tape! (Creative, right?)


And now, here they are. My little babies have outgrown two trellises, and forced us to step it up to a good 8' tall by 4' wide trellis to give them enough room. They also kicked the jalapeño plant out of their home, and he has been relocated. Aren't they a beauty? 

So, do you wanna give green thumbing a try? 

Here are a few tips for the willing:
1) Just do it! More than likely you'll find it to be rewarding in more ways than one. And if not, you're only out a few bucks.
2) You don't have to go large. Buy a little parsley plant or a mint plant. Keep it in a tiny jar in your kitchen or bedroom (windowsill, counter top, table) and water it. It'll only grow to be as big as it's space allows.
3) Be sure to use it. If its an herbal plant, add it to a recipe. If its just for looks, smell it or note its color changes. Read about its health benefits and what your plant is good for. This will allow your appreciation for it to grow, helping your bond with gardening or green thumbing to 'sprout' (eh? eh?) 
4) Never neglect it. 

So what do you say? Go grow something! 


No comments:

Post a Comment