Friday, September 28, 2012

The Unbounded Pail List

Talking with some friends last night, I realized that I said: "I have never flown in first class, but it always seems like it would be so much nicer!"

And it was then, I decided I should make a pail list! Why a pail list? Because 'bucket list' is too cliche. But a pail is just a synonym for bucket, so what makes the difference? The difference is that it catches peoples attention for a split second longer and makes them think about what this is.

If you are a person who is hobbyless, this is a good exercise to try. Think of all the things that you don't do, haven't done, always wanted to do but haven't had the opportunity, wouldn't think to do because it is out of your comfort zone, spending limit, etc. Then, make a list of all these things, and do them. It doesn't have to be written down, it can just be in your mind. However, I do think that it is more likely you will actually do them if you have it written down and kept in a place that you often see or will come across on a regular basis.

Now, the next step is to figure out how to make the opportunity to do all of the activities you have listed. For the typical bucket list, its known to be all the things you would do before you die. My thinking is...sure that sounds good, but you never know when you are going to die. It could be today, tomorrow. Heck, it could have been yesterday.In which case, I am a little freaked out if you are reading this.   My point being that either you may not ever complete your bucket list, and if you have a theoretical 80-100 years to complete it, doesn't that seem like ample time to forget about it all, procrastinate on checking things off, and what not? 

Anyways, for the pail list, it needs to be a specific time period that you set for yourself to have done all of your activities by. For example, the author of yesandyes.org did something similar, where she set out to do 34 new things before and up to her 34th birthday! 

I am going to make a list, because I think it will be fun, and it will help me to improve and grow as a person, build character, expand my horizon, and learn to do new things, like new things, or just to try new things even if that means never ever trying them again. 

I talked about doing this a while back with my husband, so coming up on our 1 year anniversary, I think now is the time to actually do it. I am planning to add things that I can do myself, as well as things him and I can do together. My goal is to do all of these things by our 5 year anniversary (October 8, 2016)

To start:
  1. Fly first class
  2. Ride in a hot air balloon
  3. Stay in a real tree house in a rainforest
  4. Wilderness camping
  5. Learn to start a fire the real way
  6. Buy an airstream camper
  7. Remodel an airstream camper
  8. Buy a VW bus
  9. Remodel a VW bus
  10. Finish rebuilding our cafe racer motorcycle
  11. Make homemade wine
  12. Learn to play an instrument
  13. Take singing lessons
  14. Sing in front of a crowd
  15. Sell something I have handmade/sewn/built/upcycled
  16. Learn to crochet/knit
  17. Try eating a foreign delicacy (beatles/cat/dog...depending where you are)
  18. Take up the full time preaching work
  19. Live in another country
  20. Learn another language
  21. Go hunting... and eat what I kill
  22. Try being vegetarian for a week (and actually stick to it this time)
  23. Don't partake of any alcohol for a week
..... to be continued

Have fun with it! The options and ideas are unbounded, really.


No comments:

Post a Comment